Thursday, March 02, 2006

I love Grant Morrison

In a manly, healthy way, of course.

Welcome To Dynamic Forces:
"These days, I get up, check e-mails, and scan my three or four favourite websites to see if there’s any good gossip. Then I work out in the gym, just like my hero, big Bruce Wayne, go running up ’n’ down the hill in all weathers, meditate, have breakfast and read the tabloids. After that, I mess around and do biz with Kristan, or we go for lunch or whatever. All the while I’m organising plots and solving story problems in my head.

Finally, I get to work in the afternoon and I write. I build up a good head of creative steam in the early evening, which is when I tend to do my best work, then I carry on into the night and the wee small hours of morning if need be, pausing only for food, or to watch a top notch DVD, or Celebrity Big Brother (deceased). I like to be surrounded by the sounds of nature while I work, which means birds, waves, trees, and pop music. Currently I’m listening to Ladytron, The Go! Team, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Lady Sov, The Like, sandpipers, owls, redwoods, oriental spruces, rain, and frame-rattling winds, over and over again. But mostly I’m inspired by the Arctic Monkeys, and the songs thereof. Fresh-faced 19 year old lads who know the score. Now That’s What I Call Music!

That’s the typical DAY. Other days are different.

...I was inspired as a teenager by the ‘Chaos Magic’ current and, after some early successes, I got seriously into the possibilities of what I was playing with and spent pretty much every day from 1981 to 2001, experimenting very successfully with magical techniques from a multitude of different traditions, until, finally I gained enough personal experience and practical know-how to develop my own style, which I called Pop Mag!c. THE INVISIBLES comic remains the central grimoire of Pop Mag!c for the time being, at least until I finish the Pop Mag!c manual.

Following my initiation into a state of consciousness which some magicians describe as ‘Crossing The Abyss’, I now ‘practise’ something I like to call Blank Magic, which I relate to the Buddhist concept of Shunyata, or Emptiness – an idea explored at length in THE FILTH, the bible of Transcendental Materialism. I still perform rituals, make spells, and summon angels, gods and demons regularly as well.

As for the second part of your question – the stories in ALL STAR SUPERMAN can be clearly seen as hymns to Apollonian solar energies and are part of a wider solar cycle of rituals I’ve been performing for the last two years. Frank Quitely and I are downloading Superman qualities if you like, summoning Superman into visible appearance. Why, you may ask, would we summon a sun god into our lives in the form of a cartoon strongman ?

Well, O my brothers, serious contemplation of Superman, daily meditation on his attributes, and, of course, reading his incredible new adventures in ALL STAR SUPERMAN will ACTUALLY make you a more rational, attractive, and positive person! And don’t forget, these qualities may actually become fashionable as we approach the end of a difficult decade and crawl out of that nasty little year Saturn-Pluto alignment that started in 2001.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment